Wednesday, August 11, 2010

2010 Topps National Chicle Drew Stubbs



Who is this? Cincinnati Reds outfielder Drew Stubbs

What is this? An autographed card insert card from the 2010 Topps National Chicle set

Where'd I get it? At the local card show

How much did it cost? $5.

Why is this so special? Drew Stubbs was the 8th overall selection in the 2006 draft. He advanced quickly through the minor leagues, earning various All-Star honors along the way. Last year, he made his major league debut and hit game-winning homer in only his second big league game.

This season, Stubbs has gotten the majority of the playing time in center field for the Cincinnati Reds. Offensively, his year has been feast or famine - he's hitting .235 with 14 home runs and 53 RBI and 113 strikeouts in 357 at-bats.

On July 5, I went to CitiField to see the Reds play the Mets. I'd been doing some odds and ends in the city before heading over to the ballpark, and I got there a bit early. I spotted a couple of late-arriving ballplayers getting stopped for autographs outside the park, and it turned out to be Stubbs and Paul Janish. I didn't bring anything to get signed, and I didn't really recognize either player until I asked one of the collectors who they had gotten.

(Though I suppose I should have been able to pick out Stubbs, since he'd been on the sports highlights for hitting three homers in a game against the Cubs on July 4.) Still, I thought it was cool that they'd stop to sign autographs when they were probably fairly close to being late for batting practice.

Stubbs' signature is surprisingly neat, considering how many he probably had to sign for Topps.

1 comment:

zman40 said...

The National Chicle autos are really nice. Somehow, I pulled two this year and I didn't buy very many packs of the stuff, either.