Tuesday, January 22, 2008

2002 Donruss Originals Brent Abernathy


Who is this? Tampa Bay Devil Rays second baseman Brent Abernathy.

What is this? An autograph card from 2002 Donruss Originals, card SM-35. The card is serial numbered 192/200.

Where'd I get it? A pack bought at the local Wal-Mart.

How much did it cost? However much a pack of Originals cost. Two or three bucks I think.

Why is this so special? Brent didn't have a heck of a lot of success in the majors, but this is still kind of a cool card. Brent is an Atlanta native and went to high school at Lovett High, which is close to where I live. He was a member of the 2000 Olympic Gold Medal team in Sydney. He had a decent debut for the Devil Rays in 2001, a not so good follow up year in 2002 and has bounced around many organizations since then. His 2001 performance netted him a lot of rookie and autograph cards in 2002. This card sums up the disappointing Donruss Originals set pretty well. It's a great looking signature on a nice looking card, plus it's even serial numbered, but it's still Brent Abernathy. I was really excited when I originally pulled this card though, so I like it anyway. Brent is currently in the Nationals organization and played for the Columbus Clippers last season. Brent even pitched a couple of games for the Clippers. Pete Orr better watch his back.

1 comment:

hartmanj said...

Good looking card. I wish they would get away from the stickers and get back to autographing the actual card. Of course it doesn't matter to me because I never pull one anyways.