Thursday, November 10, 2011

2008 Donruss Elite Extra Edition Wilson Ramos


Who is this? Washington Nationals Catcher Wilson Ramos.
What is this? An autograph card from 2008 Donruss Elite Extra Edition.
Where'd I get it? I got this card signed by Wilson when he was a member of the Minnesota Twins Triple-A affiliate, the Rochester Red Wings, before a game against the Pawtucket Red Sox.
How much did it cost? I got this card when I bought two sets of 2008 Donruss Elite Extra Edition for about $12.00 around Christmas-time in 2009.

Why is this so special? Wilson Ramos is one of the best young catchers in baseball. He was acquired by the Washington Nations from the Minnesota Twins at the trade deadline in 2010 in exchange for closer Matt Capps. In his first full-season in the Majors in 2011, Ramos batted .267 with 15 homeruns in 113 games.

Unfortunately, on November 9, 2011, Ramos was kidnapped by four armed men in Venezuela, his homeland, where he was playing in the Venezuelan Winter Baseball League. Ramos is just the most recent target of gangs who target athletes and their families in what has become a lucrative kidnapping and ransom business.

Wilson seemed like a very nice young man when I met him, and I hope that he is quickly and safely returned to his family. Until then, he will be in my prayers.

No comments: