Friday, June 20, 2008

2004 Upper Deck Etchings Randy Winn


Who is this? Mariners outfielder Randy Winn.

What is this? An autograph card from 2004 Upper Deck Etchings, card number ET-RA. The card is serial numbered 36/100.

Where'd I get it? Who knows?

How much did it cost? Ummm...

Why is this so special? I have no idea where or why I got this card. It's kind of neat looking with lots of foil, maybe that's why. It sort of looks like a steampunk trading card with all the gears. I think the Etchings set was riffing on a currency theme in a not-so-subtle reference to the value of cards. The other neat thing about this card is that it has a sticker auto, but it's a paper sticker instead of a plastic one. There's an annoying "Uppper Deck Etchings" microprint all over it but other than that it looks good and scans great. It's also nice porous paper so the ink sticks to it nicely. I'm not sure I've seen this on any other auto card, too bad it's not used more often.

I don't have a whole lot to say about Randy. He's an average outfielder who is currently manning right field for the Giants. His main claim to fame is that he was the compensation The Davil Rays paid to Seattle for signing away Lou Piniella for their manager. Randy did a hell of a lot better in Seattle than Lou did in Tampa. It's a shame the matte sticker is marred by such a blah autograph. I don't know what that's suppsed to say but it ain't Randy Winn. More like DPW7 with a dot in search of an i. At least it's serial numbered... hooray.

No comments: