Saturday, September 4, 2010

2010 Choice Binghamton Mets Michael Antonini



Who is this? Buffalo Bisons pitcher Michael Antonini
What is this? An autograph card from the 2010 Binghamton Mets team set
Where'd I get it? I wrote to Antonini at Buffalo and asked him to sign it - I got it back after almost a month.
How much did it cost? There were two copies of Antonini's card in my team set, so I guess it was free except for the postage.

Why is this so special? It's the first 2010 Binghamton Mets card I was able to get signed, since I didn't get the set until after they made their final trip into Trenton this year.

Antonini was the Mets 18th round selection in 2007. He's made it all the way through the farm system in just four seasons, despite relying more on control than pure stuff. He was invited to major league spring training last year -- likely because of the number of players the Mets sent to the World Baseball Classic. However, he impressed Jerry Manuel enough that he got to pitch in the exhibition series that opened CitiField in 2009.

Antonini probably has a very legible autograph, but he seems to have condensed it to fit on the card. Hopefully no one over at Topps will get upset at this set's resemblance to their 1962 set.

No comments: