Sunday, January 23, 2011

2004 Topps Cracker Jack Jack McKeon





Who is this? former Florida Marlins manager Jack McKeon
What is this? An autographed card from the 2004 Topps Cracker Jack set
Where'd I get it? I purchased it from a SportsGraphing.com forum member late last year.
How much did it cost? $2-$3


Why is this so special? I don't actively collect them, but when I have a chance I like to pick up autographs of players who are from my home state. McKeon is one of six baseball players to reach the major leagues who went to school at St. Mary's, a Catholic school in the tiny New Jersey city of South Amboy.

McKeon never reached the big leagues as a player. Instead, he made his mark as a manager. A two-time Manager of the Year, McKeon guided the Florida Marlins to a World Series title in 2003.

Though his autograph seems a little cramped, you can read it without much difficulty. I wish more current ballplayers had better signatures.

No comments: