Saturday, January 23, 2010

2003 Upper Deck Vintage Darin Erstad


Who is this? Darin Erstad, an outfielder/first baseman for the Anaheim Angels, Chicago White Sox and Houston Astros

What is this? An autographed card from the 2003 Upper Deck Vintage set

Where'd I get it? I wrote to Erstad and asked him to sign it during the summer of 2003. I got it back in January of 2005.

How much did it cost? Just postage and the cost of the card.

Why is this so special? If you've ever gotten involved with the hobby of collecting autographs through the mail, you probably understand the appeal of getting a card back that you'd forgotten that you even mailed out.

Erstad was the California Angels' first round draft pick in 1995, and he reached the majors the next year. (He's the first Angels' player I've found who played for the California Angels, Anaheim Angels, and Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.)

Erstad won three Gold Gloves, a Silver Slugger and was a two-time All-Star. His best season came in 2000, when he hit .355 with 25 home runs and 100 RBI. He led the league with 240 hits in 676 at-bats and 747 plate appearances.

Since 2006, Erstad has been a part-time player. He is currently a free agent.

Darin Erstad has a quick, squiggly signature. You can make out most of the letters in his last name if you know what you're looking for.

2 comments:

zman40 said...

Don't forget that he was a punter for Nebraska, too.

I liked the '03 UD Vintage. I bought more packs of that than I did of anything since 1997.

Anonymous said...

I never knew he played football.

I liked the 03 UD Vintage set, but I only bought one blaster of it. I only got about half of the cards I was supposed to, so it left me unwilling to buy more. (Upper Deck did eventually ship me some more packs to make up the difference.)