Friday, July 8, 2011

2010 Topps Turkey Red Ryne Sandberg


Who is this? Baseball Hall of Famer and current Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs Manager Ryne Sandberg.
What is this? An autograph card from 2010 Topps Series 1 Turkey Red.
Where'd I get it? I got the card from a nickel box at a local card show and got it autographed by Ryne Sandberg as he was entering McCoy Stadium for a Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs game vs. the Pawtucket Red Sox.
How much did it cost? A nickel.

Why is this so special? Ryne Sandberg is a member of the Baseball Hall of Fame who is best known for his career with the Chicago Cubs. Sanberg now manages the Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs, the AAA-Affiliate of the Philadelphia Phillies, and is often mentioned as a possible Major League manager in the near future.

This autograph is special because it is the first autograph that I have ever gotten from a Baseball Hall of Famer in person and Mr. Sandberg was very nice about signing for the twenty-or-so fans that were waiting for him outside of McCoy Stadium before the game.

I was lucky enough to get four other cards signed by Sandberg the next day inside of the stadium and hope to get a couple more cards signed by him next time that he comes to town.

2 comments:

Mark Aubrey said...

Nice job. Sandberg signed a card for me two years ago.

Cubbieblue1984 said...

Any chance you would be willing to get an 85 and 89 Topps Sandberg card signed for me next time you go? I am working on getting 89 and 84 Cubs team sets signed by all the players and am having trouble tracking down Ryno... I have a good amount of hockey and baseball autos I could trade... Lmk