Friday, March 4, 2011

Signed 8x10 Brandon Laird photo



Who is this? New York Yankees prospect Brandon Laird
What is this? An autographed 8x10 photo
Where'd I get it? I took the photo last summer at a Trenton Thunder game. I  mailed a copy to Laird at Yankees camp this spring and asked him to sign it. I got it back yesterday.
How much did it cost? About $5 for the print and postage

Why is this so special? Brandon Laird, the younger brother of St. Louis Cardinals catcher Gerald Laird, was a 27th round draft pick of out junior college in 2007.

He played in Trenton for most of last season, though he moved up to Scranton for the last month or so. Despite missing that time, Laird was named the 2010 Eastern League MVP. He hit .291 with 23 home runs and 90 RBI in 409 at-bats for the Thunder.

Laird has primarily played third base in the minors, with few games at first for good measure. He is playing some outfield this spring and has an outside chance of making the Yankees as a bench player. I suspect he will be a trade chip to help the Yankees improve their rotation sometime this summer.

Laird's got a neat-looking autograph. I like the way he interlocks his initials.

1 comment: