Thursday, March 24, 2011

1994 Signature Rookies Brook Fordyce



Who is this? former major league catcher Brook Fordyce
What is this? An autographed insert card from the 1994 Signature Rookies set
Where'd I get it? Purchased from a dealer at this month's local card show
How much did it cost? 50 cents

Why is this so special? Brook Fordyce was a Mets prospect in the early 1990s, and at one point I hope that he would be the successor to Gary Carter. Fordyce did play in 4 games for the 1995 Mets, but he didn't stick. Fordyce did have a nice career as a major league backup catcher, retiring after the 2004 season.

I have a few other Brook Fordyce autographs obtained later in his career - in those instances, he signed his full name. On every Signature Rookies card I've seen, he signed "Brook 4-Dyce." I guess if I had to sign 8000+ cards, I would have been looking for ways to make the process faster or more interesting, too. :-)

No comments: