Saturday, March 5, 2011

2011 Topps Neil Walker



Who is this? Pittsburgh Pirates second baseman Neil Walker
What is this? An autograph 2011 Topps card
Where'd I get it? I got the unsigned card out of a pack from Target & I mailed to to Walker at Pirates spring training camp to see if he'd sign it. I got it back earlier this week.
How much did it cost? Around $1, counting postage.

Why is this so special? I do believe that this is the first 2011 card I've gotten signed.

The Pittsburgh Pirates made Walker the 11th overall pick in the 2004 draft. A highly-regarded prospect, Walker rose through the Pittsburgh farm system and made his major league debut in September 2009. Last season, manager John Russell gave him a chance to play second base after Akinori Iwamura struggled.

Walker responded with a strong rookie season, batting .296 with 12 home runs and 66 RBI in 426 at-bats. That was good enough to finish fifth in the NL Rookie of the Year balloting.

Though it is difficult to see because he signing in black on a partly-dark background, Walker's signature is somewhat legible.

2 comments:

zman40 said...

Nice work on your first 2011 card!

Paul Hadsall said...

Thanks... I haven't sent too many other 2011 cards out yet.