Monday, March 28, 2011

2009 Topps Fredi Gonzalez



Who is this? Atlanta Braves manager Fredi Gonzalez
What is this? An autographed 2009 Topps Throwback logo parallel card from a Target blaster.
Where'd I get it? I wrote to Gonzalez at Braves spring training camp and asked him to sign it
How much did it cost? The unsigned card came out of a $19.99 blaster box from Target.

Why is this so special? I had been doing pretty well with my spring training autograph requests for awhile, but when I got Gonzalez's card on Friday, it was my first success in nearly two weeks. Unless I get a big run of late returns, I'm going to cut back on the number of letters I send out next year - my success rate is currently around 35 percent.

Gonzalez has the unenviable task of taking over for future Hall of Fame manager Bobby Cox in Atlanta this season. The Cuban native spent three and a half seasons managing the Florida Marlins before getting fired last year. He was named the 2008 Sporting News Manager of the Year.

Gonzalez doesn't have a very pretty autograph, but I imagine it's quick to sign.