Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Signed 8x10 Wade Boggs photo



Who is this? Hall of Famer Wade Boggs
What is this? An autographed 8x10 photo from from a set of five 1988 American League Award Winners  Where'd I get it? Boggs signed it at an autograph show in Secaucus on Saturday
How much did it cost? $65


Why is this so special? What can you say about Wade Boggs that hasn't already been hundreds of times. He was one of the best hitters in baseball history, and one of the top three I ever saw play. He was elected to the Hall of Fame in 2005 with 91.9% of the vote.

Boggs was a 12-time All-Star, a 2-time Gold Glove winner and a 5-time American League batting champion. For three years - 1986 to 1988 - Boggs led baseball in Wins Above Replacement as calculated by Baseball Reference. For his career, ranks 27th among all position players with an 89.0 WAR score.

I found this photo among some odds and ends from my junior high school collecting days last month, so I decided to get it signed even though it put me a bit above my planned budget for the autograph show. Boggs has an ok signature, though it could be a little neater. He was adding the Hall of Fame inscription to everything he signed at the show.

1 comment:

Dan said...

I do love how the Hall of Famers put that inscription with their signatures.

I also used to enjoy saying that I once went to a Yankees-Red Sox game at Fenway and saw both Boggs and Mattingly strike out. Not necessarily because I was rooting against them, but because it was rare enough to see one of them whiff, let alone both in the same game.