Sunday, February 6, 2011

1973 Topps Jim Nettles



Who is this? former Minnesota Twins outfielder Jim Nettles
What is this? An autographed card from the 1973 Topps set
Where'd I get it? I wrote to Nettles and asked him to sign it; I got it back yesterday, about 10 days later.
How much did it cost? I got the unsigned card for a dime.

Why is this so special? Jim Nettles is the brother of famed 1970s Yankee third baseman Graig Nettles. Jim didn't enjoy the same degree of success in baseball - he was strictly a part-time player. Jim played for four different teams over six seasons, but never had more than 235 at-bats in a season.

I was interested in adding Jim's autograph to my collection because I watched his nephew, Jeff, play for the Somerset Patriots in the Atlantic League for several seasons. I already had Jeff and Graig's autographs.

2 comments:

Johngy said...

As usual fr me, give me a less successful brother of a major league star and I will be a fan. I always cheered or Jim and got his card sign ttm as well.
Great blog.

Mariner1 said...

My son just recently started doing some hitting training with Jim. He is an absolutley nice guy and very knowledgable for a part-timer. Intersting fact, his son in-law is Mike Sweeney, recently of the Phillies.