Wednesday, February 2, 2011

1983 Donruss Diamond King Eddie Murray



Who is this? Hall of Famer Eddie Murray
What is this? An autographed card from the 1983 Donruss set
Where'd I get it? I bought it from a dealer at the autograph show in Secaucus this past weekend.
How much did it cost? $25


Why is this so special? Eddie Murray was one of the best switch-hitters in baseball history, and the best one I ever saw play. He retired with more than 3,000 hits and more the 500 home runs. He won the Rookie of the Year Award in 1977 and was an 8-time All-Star.

Murray spent most of his career with the Orioles, so it's fitting to have him represented in my collection with an Orioles card. However, he did play for the New York Mets for two seasons in the early 1990s - Murray hit his 400th home run while wearing a Mets uniform. Someday, I'd like to get a Mets card signed - I'm just not eager to pay his $80 signing fee to do it.

It's clear that Murray takes pride in his autograph - you can read every letter in his name.

3 comments:

Orioles Magic said...

Wow, I think I like your Eddie autograph more than mine!

Paul Hadsall said...

You can't go wrong with signed Diamond Kings.

zman40 said...

Nice find. I must say that I am jealous of both of you. If I could get myself a signed '81D by Eddie, without dropping 80 bucks on it (or even 30), I would be a very happy camper.