Wednesday, July 7, 2010

2003 Fleer Tradition Scott Speizio


Who is this? Newark Bears infielder Scott Spiezio

What is this? An autographed card from the 2003 Fleer Tradition set

Where'd I get it? Spiezio signed it for me before a Bears game earlier this year.

How much did it cost? I got the card out of a pack.

Why is this so special? Scott Spiezio spent 12 seasons in the major leagues and won two World Series rings, with the 2002 Angels and the 2006 Cardinals. He is the son of former major leaguer Ed Spiezio.

If I could bring back one discontinued baseball card set, I'd revive Topps Total. It was perfect for autograph collectors because of the number of different players included and the lack of glossy coating on the cards. But if I could bring back a second discontinued set, Fleer Tradition would be the one I'd choose. It appealed to me more than the Topps Heritage sets, maybe because the cards weren't direct copies of a previous design (except in 2003). Or maybe it was because the pack prices were more affordable. I'm not really sure.

Spiezio's autograph looks like a scribble on this card, unfortunately.

1 comment:

madding said...

Nice to hear that Spiezio is still playing the game in some capacity.