Friday, July 9, 2010

1999 Fleer Tradition Joe Winkelsas


Who is this? Former Atlanta Braves pitcher Joe Winkelsas
 
What is this? An autographed card from the 1999 Fleer Tradition set
 
Where'd I get it? Winkelsas signed the card for me before a Newark Bears game earlier this year.
 
How much did it cost? About a quarter.
 
Why is this so special? Joe Winkelsas signed with the Atlanta Braves organization as an undrafted amateur free agent in 1996. He moved through the minor league system and earned a major league call-up in 1999. Winkelsas pitched in one game, and recorded one out.

That was enough for Fleer to make him a baseball card. Winkelsas doesn't have a great autograph, but he does take the time to neatly inscribe a Bible verse.

John 14: 1-6 reads:

Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me.
In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.
And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.
And whither I go ye know, and the way ye know.
Thomas saith unto him, Lord, we know not whither thou goest; and how can we know the way?
Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

No comments: