Saturday, July 16, 2011

2004 Topps Total Pete Laforest



Who is this? Quebec Capitales catcher/infielder Pete Laforest
What is this? An autographed card from the 2004 Topps Total set
Where'd I get it? Laforest signed it for me before last night's game between the Capitales and the Newark Bears
How much did it cost? I got it out of a pack in 2004.

Why is this so special? If I didn't lose track of anything, this is the sixth item I've gotten signed for my own collection at a Can-Am League game this year. Most of the guys playing in the league just do not have cards.

Technically, this is not a Pete Laforest card. Sure, it's got his name on the front and his stats on the back - but the guy in the picture is current Camden Riversharks catcher Toby Hall. Not being a big Devil Rays fan, I didn't notice. Fortunately, Laforest was a good sport about it - I imagine he's been asked to sign the card hundreds of times since it came out. Still, it felt a bit awkward.

Laforest played in a handful of games for the Devil Rays in 2003 and 2005, as well as brief stints with Philadelphia and San Diego in 2007. He has 29 major league hits - including 2 home runs - in 68 games.

Laforest was a 2004 Olympian, representing Canada. He also played for his home country in the 2006 World Baseball Classic.

There are a lot of overlapping loops in Laforest's autograph. I wonder if it would be less compressed on a larger item.

No comments: