Thursday, September 23, 2010

2010 Topps Pro Debut Steve Lombardozzi



Who is this? Harrisburg Senators second baseman Steve Lombardozzi Jr.
What is this? An autographed card from the 2010 Topps Pro Debut Series 1 set
Where'd I get it? Lombardozzi signed it for me before a game in Trenton this summer
How much did it cost? I got it out of $4 (I think) pack.

Why is this so special? Steve Lombardozzi Jr. is the son of former Minnesota Twins infielder Steve Lombardozzi. (Sometime I'll have to try to get an autograph from his dad.)

I decided to post this card after seeing him as the subject of a post on the NatsTown baseball card blog today.

When the Harrisburg Senators came to Trenton in August, I went to the game with the goal of trying to get Orlando Hernandez's autograph. That didn't work out so well, but I took a quick look through my other cards to see if I had any of anybody else on the Senators' roster. This turned out to be the only card I got signed at the game.

Lombardozzi was the Nationals 19th round selection in 2008. He spent most of this season with the Potomac Nationals in the Class-A Carolina League. In 110 games, he hit .293 /.370 / .409 with one home run and 20 stolen bases. In 27 games for Harrisburg, he hit .295 / .373 / .524 with five home runs and four stolen bases.

While Lombardozzi's autograph isn't super-neat, I can't blame him. My signature would probably be a bit sloppy too if I were signing in a hurry at the ballpark.

It's a little strange to think of the Hagerstown Suns as a Washington Nationals affiliate. I remember them as the Orioles AA team in the late 80s / early 90s, and they were briefly affiliated with the New York Mets. In between, they were affiliated with the Toronto Blue Jays (for quite a few years) and the San Francisco Giants.

No comments: