Saturday, May 8, 2010

1987 Fleer Tom Herr


Who is this? Former St. Louis Cardinals second baseman Tom Herr
 
What is this? An autographed card from the 1987 Fleer set

Where'd I get it? Herr signed it for me before a doubleheader between the Lancaster Barnstormers and Newark Bears last month.
 
How much did it cost? Not much.  

Why is this so special? I wrote a little bit about Tom Herr when I posted the first card he signed for me this year.

I remember collecting the 1987 Fleer set quite heavily when I was younger. The funny thing is, I was doing it in 1988. I had put together a few Topps sticker albums in the early 1980s, but I just remember them as "stickers." I didn't start collecting baseball cards seriously until 1988.

The local comic shop had a ton of 1987 Topps cello packs and 1987 Fleer rack packs in 1988 - I guess baseball cards were not a big seller for them. So after I got tired of the current year sets, I started picking these up for the novelty. I think I had about 3/4 of the Fleer set by the time the shop sold the last of their cards, including all of the "big" rookies of the day.

Because of those memories, I like to get 1987 Fleer cards signed when I can. It's not the most exciting design of the 1980s, but I think it holds up better than any of the 1988 cards. They do look great signed in blue Sharpie -- especially when the player has a readable signature like Tom Herr.

No comments: