Sunday, January 17, 2010

1969 Topps Larry Stahl


Who is this?
Larry Stahl, a former major league outfielder for the Kansas City Royals, New York Mets, San Diego Padres and Cincinnati Reds

What is this? An autographed card from the 1969 Topps set

Where'd I get it? I wrote to Larry Stahl and asked him to sign it; I got it back about a week and a half later.

How much did it cost? Approximately $2, between the cost of the card & postage.

Why is this so special? Check out the "state-of-the-art" Topps airbrushing here. That is clearly a Mets cap with the logo erased. I thought about saving it to post on my blog, but it's not really a Mets card.

Larry Stahl was an original San Diego Padre, selected as the 26th pick in the Oct. 14, 1968 expansion draft. Topps didn't have a chance to take new photos for the first Padres cards.

Stahl stuck around in the big leagues for 10 years, including four in San Diego, but he never had 350 plate appearances in a single season. He finished his career with a .232 lifetime average, 36 home runs and 163 RBI.

While Stahl's autograph is easy to read, I don't think he got gold stars for penmanship when he was in school.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good dispatch and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you for your information.