Tuesday, June 3, 2008

2000 Topps Traded Brett Myers


Who is this? Phillies pitcher Brett Myers.

What is this? An autograph card from 2000 Topps Traded, card number TTA25.

Where'd I get it? The same dealer in Pennsylvania as the Rico Washington card.

How much did it cost? Whatever the opening bid on the auction was. I want to say a buck, but it was 8 years ago and I don't really remember.

Why is this so special? This is that bum pitcher I only bought because no one else had bid on him and it was worth it for a cheap set and autograph. Hey, if I was any judge of talent, I'd be a scout. For a "last pickle in the barrel" type of purchase it was a good one. Back when Brett first broke with the Phillies, this card was booking for $50 and I think may have even been on Beckett's Hot List for a month or two. It's certainly cooled off since then, between legal trouble and the Phils bouncing him back and forth between the rotation and the bullpen like he's John Smoltz or something. Plus the only autographs anyone wants anymore are of prospects. Dude's like 27 years old! That's ancient for a prospect. Nevermind he's been pitching since 2002 and is the best pitcher on the Phillies' staff, he's not a prospect anymore so you can probably find this card for a buck somewhere if you look hard enough. I know it was worth 50 smackers at one point though and I bought it before it got hot. That means it's worth a big ol' bucket of pride to me. Like the Rico card, this is pretty sweet looking. I especially like how you can see Brett's grip on the ball right before he delivers to the plate. The signature is more like initials than an actual autograph, but it's distinctive and you can make out the B~ M clearly at least. There's even a little smear on the M to add authenticity. Also - no stickers! How the heck did Topps manage to do on card autos for all these cards back in 2000? It's a mystery.........

No comments: