Monday, January 10, 2011

Questionable 1983 Topps Dan Quisenberry





Who is this? former Kansas City Royals closer Dan Quisenberry
What is this? A signed card from the 1983 Topps set
Where'd I get it? I picked it up from a card show dealer who buys up collections and re-sells the cards  How much did it cost? Not much... I got it and a bunch of other cards for $5


Why is this so special? I have my doubts that this card was actually signed by Quisenberry, but I'm not familiar enough with his autograph to have an informed opinion. A look at the PSA-slabbed cards on eBay didn't do much to clarify the matter - just take a look at the variety of autographs there.

If anybody is familiar with Quisenberry's autograph, I'd welcome your opinion. I'd also be interested in seeing photos/scans of items that were signed in-person.

Quisenberry was a submarine-style closer in the early 1980s. A three-time All-Star, Quisenberry led the American League in saves five times and won five Rolaids Relief Man awards. He died in 1998 at the age of 45.

1 comment:

zman40 said...

I don't know what to tell you on that one. I can't say that I have ever seen a Quiz auto, but the next time I am in the Royals HoF, I will look a little harder for one.

Those are some varied sigs on the ebay link.