Tuesday, June 15, 2010

1987 Pawtucket Ed Nottle



Who is this? Brockton Rox pitching coach Ed Nottle
 
What is this? An autographed card from the 1987 Pawtucket Red Sox team set
 
Where'd I get it? It was a gift from Jeff before Sunday's Trenton Thunder game.
 
Why is this so special? Ed Nottle was a minor league pitcher in the 1960s. In 1972, he entered coaching and eventually became a minor league manager. He was named the International League Manager of the Year in 1987 and the first manager of the Sioux City Explorers in the Northern League in 1993.

Nottle's claim to fame is music. "Singing Ed" recorded an album, "To Baseball with Love" back in the 1980s. (If I had a working turntable, I would definitely be ordering this for the novelty value.)

My memory is playing tricks on me, because I clearly remember Nottle having a 1986 Topps card - and he doesn't. I must be thinking of one of the Red Sox minor leagues sets from the late 80s -- I did collect minor league cards even back then, but none of them really have a similar design.

I don't know what my fourth grade teacher would have said about Nottle's penmanship, but compared to the rest of the autographs I got on Sunday it's a thing of beauty. Unlike most of the minor league players, Nottle's signature is easy to read.

Thanks again, Jeff!

4 comments:

zman40 said...

Now that is a sweet looking card.

Orioles Magic said...

Agreed, that is an awesome card.

Unknown said...

Good stuff. And it is easy to read. The old school guys always did sign better.

Sumosid said...

When Singing Ed signed that card he told me, "You can tell I'm old, you can read my signature!"