Tuesday, June 8, 2010

1986 Topps John Tudor


Who is this? 1980s St. Louis Cardinals pitcher John Tudor
 
What is this? An autographed card from the 1986 Topps set
 
Where'd I get it? I wrote to Tudor in February and asked him to sign it; I got it back on Monday.
 
How much did it cost? Not much. I think 1980s Topps cards breed in my storage boxes.
 
Why is this so special? John Tudor spent five seasons with the St. Louis Cardinals and went to the World Series twice. He didn't get a ring until his third trip, but that one came with the L.A. Dodgers.

Tudor's best season was 1985 - he went 21-8 with a 1.93 ERA. He led the league with 10 shutouts. If not for a young pitcher named Dwight Gooden putting together one of the best seasons in the history of the game, Tudor would have won the National League Cy Young Award.

For a lefty, I think Tudor has pretty good handwriting.

2 comments:

zman40 said...

I'm glad that I'm not the only one getting some '86 Topps Cardinals cards signed.

Paul Hadsall said...

It actually wasn't a plan, as much as that was the only Cardinals card I had to send to him. I also got a Dodgers card signed that I'll get around to posting at some point.

Considering how miserable he made life for Mets fans in 1985, and to a lesser extent in 1988, I'm surprised that I wanted to write to John Tudor.