Friday, November 13, 2009

1996 Leaf Signature Series Sandy Martinez



Who is this?
Sandy Martinez, a former catcher with the Toronto Blue Jays, Chicago Cubs, Florida Marlins, Montreal Expos, Cleveland Indians and Boston Red Sox

What is this? An autographed card from the 1996 Leaf Signature Series

Where'd I get it? I bought it at a baseball card show last weekend

How much did it cost? $1

Why is this so special? Sandy Martinez played in the majors for parts of 8 seasons, but he only got into 218 games. Still, that's 218 games more than most everybody else.

In 2006, he was invited to spring training by the New York Mets, but he never got the call. He spent the season in AAA with Norfolk, where I got to see him play in a couple of games.

Martinez has a neat autograph, but there is no way I'd ever connect it with the name "Sandy Martinez." I think I'd have an easier time reading it as "Ariel Prieto."

No comments: