Wednesday, May 14, 2008

1982 Topps Jeff Reardon


Who is this? Expos pitcher Jeff Reardon.

What is this? An autographed 1982 Topps card, card number 667.

Where'd I get it? I think a card show, but I'm not entirely sure.

How much did it cost? A couple bucks maybe.

Why is this so special? I don't want to get into Jeff's history because it's sad. Let's just say that even if you're a dominant closer that doesn't mean you won't have problems. Jeff actually had a short stint with the Braves in the playoff run of '92. I'm not going to get into that either because it's more sadness, at least for Braves fans. I'm still glad to remember him in a Braves uni, because he is still one of the great closers from the 80's. If the Hall of Fame ever gets generous and decides to let a flood of closers in, Jeff would probably go in wearing this Expos hat. He won the Rolaids Relief award with the 'Spos in 1985 as the best 'fireman' but his '82 and '88 seasons were statistically his best. Other than one pitch, Jeff was pretty damn dominating in his brief stint with the Braves as well. Reardon won a championship as the Twins' closer in '87. I think I got this card from a show at the Cobb Civic center a long time ago but I can't remember to tell the truth. It's a nice sig though, and you have the facsimile signature to compare it with right underneath.

No comments: