Saturday, October 8, 2011

2001 Topps Richard Seymour


Who is this? Oakland Raiders, and former New England Patriots, Defensive Lineman Richard Seymour.
What is this? An autograph rookie card from 2001 Topps.
Where'd I get it? I got this card signed by Richard turning Patriots Training Camp in 2005 or 2006.
How much did it cost? I got this card out of a pack of Topps in 2001.

Why is this so special? Richard Seymour was the Patriots First-Round Draft Pick, sixth-overall, in the 2001 NFL Draft from the University of Georgia. A six-time Pro Bowler and four-time All-Pro selection, Richard Seymour was a member of all three New England Patriots Super Bowl Championship teams.

Standing at 6-feet, 6-inches tall and weighing a solid 310 pounds, Richard was the largest human being that I had ever seen in my entire life; but that didn't stop me, and my sister, from going back for proverbial seconds with the happy-to-sign Seymour. In fact, I remember that I got two cards and a photo signed and she got two cards signed before Richard got wise to us and politely shut us off.

I find it interesting that Seymour seemed to sign all of the cards off-center and to the right side of the card. While the signature still looks nice, it does appear to be a bit smushed into the corner.

No comments: