Friday, December 18, 2009

2009 Topps Andre Ethier

Who is this? Andre Ethier, an outfielder for the Los Angeles Dodgers

What is this? An autograph card from the 2009 Topps set

Where'd I get it? I wrote to Andre Ethier back during spring training and asked him to sign it; I got it back yesterday.

How much did it cost? The card came out of a pack; the autograph was free

Why is this so special? Andre Ethier is a talented young hitter. This season, he won a Silver Slugger award and finished sixth in the NL MVP voting. Ethier hit a career high 31 home runs and had a career high 106 RBI. There's no reason to think he won't continue to improve.

I'm hoping that Andre Ethier is the one who signed my card, but I'm a little less certain than I am about most of the autographs I've obtained through the mail. There was some thought that a friend or relative was helping him to sign some fanmail that was returned earlier this fall.

At a quick glance, the signature on my card looks like some recent examples of his autograph that collectors have obtained in-person... but it's such a simple signature that it wouldn't be very hard to copy.

No comments: