Saturday, August 16, 2008

2008 Goudey Marlon Byrd


Who is this? Rangers outfielder Marlon Byrd.

What is this? An autograph card from 2008 Goudey, cards number GG-MB.

Where'd I get it? Pulled from a pack bought from flea market dude.

How much did it cost? $4.75 for the pack.

Why is this so special? Ok, so I haven't posted in a while. I got stuff to do. You'll get nothing and like it! Anyway, the flea market guy was here today and I had a pocket full of cash. My main hauls: about ten Chipper Jones cards I didn't have already, a pile of Heritage Chrome and short prints and I wiped out a box of Topps cards from the late 70's that was selling for a nickel a pop. I had some money left over so I got a bunch of packs. I snagged a nice healthy stack from the quarter bin, three packs of Allen & Ginter and two of Goudey. The Junk wax was just that - junk. I ripped a few and saved the rest to send to trade partners. Allen & Ginter was a nice hit, I beat the odds and got two Baseball Legend minis of Honus Wagner and Jackie Robinson. I ripped the Goudey and found two run of the mill mini cards (Raul Ibanez and someone I forgot already) and no short prints. I repremanded myself for buying them when a blaster is far more cost effective than Hobby packs. I got home, sorted them to put in my Goudey binder and noticed the back.


I did one of those motorboat doubletake noises and eyeballed the front looking for the autograph. It ain't easy to see, that's for sure. Not a spectacular signature either, it looks to me like "Nyl" in script. It's an autograph though... I bought the hobby packs solely to try to get lucky and pull that 'graph and I done it. Now I can quit buying hobby packs of this stuff because I've already got my hit. I'm not sure what to think about pulling Marlon Byrd though. I'm still convinced he's going to make a breakthrough with the Phillies any day now. He's hitting pretty well for the Rangers as a fourth ourfielder though so I can't complain.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When I first saw this post I was trying to figure out why you put a non autographed card on here. Then I noticed the graph and read the post. I wish I had a flea market guy.