Sunday, January 15, 2012

2010 Bowman Topps 100 Jesus Montero


Who is this? New Seattle Mariners Catcher/Designated Hitter Jesus Montero.
What is this? An autograph card from 2010 Bowman Topps 100.
Where'd I get it? I got this card signed by Jesus Montero before a Pawtucket Red Sox v. Scranton-Wilkes Barre Yankees game last Spring.
How much did it cost? I paid about 25 cents for this card last winter.

Why is this so special? Jesus Montero has been one of the most highly-touted and closely scrutinized prospects in the Minor Leagues for the last few seasons. Montero has been championed as an elite power-hitter who can handle advanced pitching, while his critics point to his lack of a clear defensive position as a weakness.

After two years of trade talks and rumors, the Yankees (finally) traded Jesus Montero to the Seattle Mariners on January 14, 2012 for Pitcher Michael Pineda. Looking forward, Montero could help bring some offensive fire-power to that Seattle has been lacking in recent years.

In my experience, Montero is a reluctant signer, AT BEST. In the four or five times that I tried to get him to sign some cards, he only signed once. Luckily, I had two clipboards hanging over the SWB Yankees dugout during batting-practice and he signed two cards on each.

Unfortunately, Montero's signature isn't much to look at and he smudged his autograph on the 2009 TriSTAR Obak card. Nonetheless, I am happy to have these cards signed and I (reluctantly) wish Jesus good luck with the Mariners.

1 comment:

The Lost Collector said...

Nice! I was about 0 for 100 with him TTM.