Friday, February 27, 2009

1993 Topps Dana Stubblefield



Who is this? Former 49er, Dana Stubblefield.

What is this? An autograph card from the 1993 Topps set, number 64.

Where'd I get it? At a free autograph signing around 1994.

How much did it cost? Whatever a pack of '93 Topps cards cost.

Why is this so special? This card is special because it is featured on Auto-Matic for the People. All of us (including me) have been slacking of late (we are probably too busy buying up all of the new '09 baseball cards). So, I figured that I should post something.

As for this card, I got it signed at one of the local car dealerships in 1994. Luckily, one of my neighborhood friends heard about it on the radio and we were able to snag a ride over there to get some signatures. I got this card signed (it was the only one I had of him) and I got a 1994 University of Kansas schedule-poster signed. The signing was free.

Stubblefield had a great rookie season in 1993. He notched 10.5 sacks that year and was the Defensive Rookie of the Year. His sacks steadily dropped for the next three seasons. Then, in 1997, he had a 15 sack season. He was awarded the Defensive Player of the Year Award. He then went to Washington via free agency. In his three years there, he never had more than 3 sacks. He played three more seasons in San Francisco and Oakland but could not rekindle his old glory.

His name came up in the BALCO investigations and he is currently serving a two-year probation. He also appeared in the movie "Reindeer Games".

I hate the photo on this card. He was a first round draft pick and I would have preferred a photo of him playing in college. Instead we get a training camp photo of him warming up in shorts, without shoulder pads on, and with his last name on the front of his helmet so all of the coaches will know who he is.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

stubblefield was aweomse. i remember him and lott made for a fierce foundation for the defense. having that high powered offense wipe away any mistakes was sure nice too.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
dayf said...

So Ronnie Lott was in Oakland by '93. Big deal. On my blog you can call someone an idiot OR post anonymously, but not both.

Zap.