Monday, September 15, 2008

1988 Topps Dick Williams


Who is this? Mariners manager Dick Williams.

What is this? An autographed 1988 Topps card, card number 104.

Where'd I get it? Andy at 88 Topps Blog.

How much did it cost? Won it in a contest.

Why is this so special? Dick is in the Hall of Fame as a manager, but he also had a pretty decent 13 year career in the majors. He's in the Hall of Fame for his managerial career though as he won two titles with the A's and took the Red Sox and the Padres to the World Series as well. I won this from Andy in a contest on 88 Topps Blog, and this card is by far the favorite of the ones I got for two reasons.

This card with Dick sporting a somewhat goofy looking expression from 1953 Topps was one of the first ones I owned from the '53 set and may have been my first Brooklyn Dodger card ever.

Also the man has a helluva mustache.

No comments: